Watching the solar eclipse in Nashville? Read this first.
The countdown is on!
It's the first time in 99 years that a total eclipse is making its way across our country. You've probably heard by now that Nashville is one of the hottest places in the country to be for this monumental event. The folks in Music City know that this is a big deal. So, they're laying out the welcome mat for you all around town in the lovely form of Solar Eclipse viewing parties!
We wanted to help you locate the perfect spot for your family.
Here are some of the viewing parties that we've found for families!
1. Nashville Zoo - first 5,000 guest receive FREE viewing glasses
2. Nashville's Italian Lights - NASA's official viewing location at Bicentennial Capital Mall State Park
3. Music City's Total Eclipse of the Park - at First Tennessee Park, tickets are $5 + fees, attendees receive viewing glasses
4. Shade Tree Farm and Orchard - located a little north of the city on an farm, bring a chair
5. Belle Meade Plantation Viewing Party - you can purchase tickets in advance, $15/adults and $10/kids, admission includes viewing glasses
6. Northfield Vineyards' Total Eclipse of the Vines - located about 1.5 hours east of downtown Nashville, leashed pets allowed
7. Music City Solar Eclipse Festival and Viewing Party - outdoors at the Adventure Science Center
8. Cheekwood Solar Eclipse Viewing Party - offering half price on admission tickets, additional activities: food trucks, live music and cash bar
9. Paddle Up - Watch the eclipse from a paddleboard on the river, tickets $60/person
10. Tailgate Beer Viewing Party - a laid back option with craft beer and pizza
11. Grand Ole Opry - viewing party on the plaza with BBQ and live music
12. The Hermitage Solar Eclipse Tailgate - grounds open at 8:30 am, first 2,000 guests receive free glasses
13. Viewing party on the Back Porch - lawn games and food begin at 10 am on the grounds of the Fontanel
14. The Frist - show your viewing glasses to front desk and receive free admission to the museum
15. General Jackson Showboat - dine on-board the General Jackson and watch the eclipse from the river
16. Downtown Solar Eclipse Viewing - located in the trendy Bridge Building event space, play at the downtown splash pad afterwards
17. Smyrna Total Eclipse Party - games and activities at the Outdoor Adventure Center in Smyrna
18. Great American Eclipse - Linebaugh Library is hosting a viewing party in Murfreesboro
19. Solar Eclipse on the Farm - Green Door Gourmet is hosting a lawn party with games, beer, and popular food trucks: Hattie B's and Jeni's Ice Cream
20. Wave Pool Viewing Party - Nashville Shores is opening the wave pool only for $9.99/person, between 12 pm - 4 pm, first 1000 guest get free viewing glasses
Fun bonus tips to help with the eclipse viewing:
Get free viewing glasses.
Starting Aug. 1st, stop by Warby Parker to pick up a FREE pair of viewing glasses!
Find the perfect location.
To verify the visibility from the location you're planning to choose, use this cool app!! It also details the exact start times of contact and the duration of eclipse. It matters where you are! You want to double check any location with this app to ensure you will have the best experience! Apple users: https://goo.gl/SA3Fmp and Android users: https://goo.gl/wZ5Uyz
Look for the 360 degree sunset.
At one point during the eclipse, you will be able to experience what experts call "the perfect sunset."
Help your kids understand what they're seeing.
Watch this video with your kids prior to the eclipse. It will help prep them AND you for what to expect! Plus, they'll learn all about shadow snakes -- I'm going to be keeping my eyes open for those little guys!
Know of any other viewing parties that need to be added to the list above? Let me know in the comments section below!